Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Holton 6/4 in my living room..what to do

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tony E on April 30, 2002 at 01:29:20:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Holton 6/4 in my living room..what to do posted by Rick Denney on April 29, 2002 at 18:38:24:

Rick and Jay,

Thank you for your thoughtful responses.

Actually, Rick, apart from the need for alternate fingerings and a few notes that need to be lipped up or down, in all other respects, it's easier and less effort to play than even my new King, and that's amazing, because my 2341 is a very easy horn to play. This is more like 3/4 in and 6/4 out. PP is so simple and full sounding.

I spent another 2+ hours with it this evening. About a half hour in, I finally figured out how to hold it comfortably in my lap. Put in a Jim Self mouthpiece. And then, the most relaxing and enjoyable practice I've ever had. I can't get over the sound of the instrument...it's almost like cheating, and I know I'm going to feel guilty when people compliment the sound.

Thank you Jay (and others) for sharing your experience...I'll spend the effort to figure out how to deal with the intonation, as well as how to play it in different settings. This horn's a keeper for me, because I LOVE it.

I figure the worst that could happen is that I'll have to buy a few rounds of beer for the guys in the Brass Band while I learn the horn.

I've also decided that if I find I must have a smaller horn for some settings, I'll use that as my motivation to finally learn how to play Eb or F. Why not? No more fear..just fun!!

Thanks guys.

Tony E

Follow Ups: