Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Your ultimate horn collection

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck(G) on September 09, 2001 at 16:43:05:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Your ultimate horn collection posted by just off the phone... on September 09, 2001 at 14:04:00:

Dr. Marzan's definition of "compensating euphonium" does not coincide with the generally accepted definition. You do report that he admitted that his slide arrangement was intended to save money over going to a compensating arrangment. I can understand that; compensating instruments usually command a substantial premium over non compensating ones. His was a decision weighing a feaure versus a price point.

A trombone plays every note perfectly in tune as long as the 1st position is tuned correctly and the slide doesn't hit the floor in 7th. Any other intonation problems are due to the player, who is required to "compensate". This does not make a trombone compensating, however.

Neither does a pull ring, trigger or other mechanism on the main slide of a euphonium. Compensating instruments carry a hefty price tag and most professionals gladly pay for the feature. To say that one does not need or want compensation in one's instrument because it's "built right" is ludicrous and belittles the investment and careful thought these artists have put into their instrument choices.

Many tuba players are usually unwilling to put up with the extra resistance encountered in compensating instruments and choose to make up for that with extra valves or slide pulls. But compensating euphoniums are more the rule than the exception.

If I have offended you, I apologize. But be aware that anonymous postings on this BBS usually end up being the target of pointed responses merely because the poster does not whish to back an opinion or criticism with his name.

This in no way is meant to criticize the work of Dr. Marzan. He has given the tuba community some innovative designs that will be topics of discussion and imitation long after he's departed this vale of tears. A great legacy, indeed.

Follow Ups: