Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Your ultimate horn collection

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on September 10, 2001 at 11:20:48:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Your ultimate horn collection posted by Chuck(G) on September 10, 2001 at 10:57:59:

Is the euphonium picture compensated using the Blaikely system? It must have been the first year that the patents went off, if so, or very nearly. I think that may be a compensating loop poking out the third valve, but with a horn of such unusual construction, and with a low-resolution scane, I'm not sure what I'm seeing.

My (difficult) reading of the text of your scan is that it is called "positive compensation" by the use of slide manipulation, perhaps as opposed to "automatic compensation" that would be applied to a Blaikely system. There is no mention of automatic compensation in the text.

In any case, there's no assurance that Dr. Marzan uses the terms in the same way as DEG's ad writers. I was just suggesting that "compensation" was used for a broader array of intonation-adjustment mechanisms in the old literature than it is today.

Rick "thinking misunderstanding is more likely than ignorance in this case" Denney

Follow Ups: