Re: Contra tubas?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Leland on September 24, 2000 at 19:28:19:

In Reply to: Contra tubas? posted by Alex on September 24, 2000 at 18:48:56:

The proper term (if there is such a thing!) is "marching tubas", or "MT" as they're known around here. This class includes both convertible tubas and marching-only tubas -- that is, MT's that can't be converted to the upright, bell-up, in-the-lap position.

Their cost is comparable to concert tubas.

And, I will STRONGLY ADVISE against getting anything billed as a 3/4-sized tuba. They sound tiny, and they're more difficult to carry than the large models. You see those corps in DCI running around with 25-pound 5/4-plus-sized contras, and speaking from experience (I ran around with an early-80's King K90 this summer, and marched contra since 1987), they can do that all day long.

The models to look for come from Yamaha (YBB-201M), the Kanstul marching tubas, and maybe one from DEG/Dynasty/Willson. Blue Devils are getting new BBb MT's that, I believe, will be built by Willson in Switzerland under the DEG name (or however the partnership/conglomerate works), and they should be essentially a BBb version of DEG's huge GG contra (which Cavaliers use, for example). If that's the case, they'll be MT's that can finally give good King and Conn sousaphones a run for their money. Obviously, though, quality MT's are rare, simply because the prase "light at 15 lbs." looks better to a band director perusing ads than "23 lbs.".

I was a part-time tech for a local HS that uses Yamaha 201M's, and they had no problem being heard, and clarity was just fine.

Follow Ups: