Re: Re: Euph Recital (AT) UNT

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by In Some Cases . . . on October 12, 2003 at 14:23:28:

In Reply to: Re: Euph Recital (AT) UNT posted by general question on October 12, 2003 at 12:50:22:

. . . It indicates a shift in funding sources and a switch in emphasis towards a research-based reputation. UNT changed its name to disassociate itself from the chain of "State" schools in an attempt to pull in major research grants and build programs that way. Attending UNT as a music major is much more expensive than to do so at UT Austin. Now UT, overall, is much larger and has much higher academic standards. So why is UNT more expensive? UT has an enormous endowment that the poorer UNT could not seem to duplicate as a mere "State School". This causes the UNT College of Music to have to nickel and dime you to death with fees that do not exist at the larger UT, where much of these fees are nonexistent.

UT also has more money to offer to its students. This money has to come from somewhere, frequently through corporate and private donations. If you give the school a more big-time public face and show that things are happening there other than teaching out of books written at other institutions, money follows.

When I went to school in Denton, I got to attend both versions of the same school: NTSU and UNT. When new faculty acquisitions and administrative attitudes took hold, things got better all over campus.

When the name changed, admission and academic standards went up too.

It is just a positive evolution, a growing financial independence, and a more serious academic stance.

UNT is not the same institution it was as NTSU.

I am sure that this is the case at other institutions that have changed names.

It is not just some surface change.

Wade "Tried really hard to get 88.1 KNTU to update their name, but to no avail" Rackley

Follow Ups: