Tubas to go

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Southworth on October 30, 2001 at 06:43:06:

My tuba playing Dad died about a year ago and I can now face getting rid of some of his things. I do need some help though as I am ignorant about tubas. I'll be selling his three tubas (as well as cornets, trombone, violin and Albert system clarinets and thousands of tapes and LP's). Not having done this before I need advice.

What is the best way to sell tubas. Ebay, local ads (Milwaukee WI area), or are there some specialty publications that would be better for these ads?

Shipping. I've searched the tubanet archives for shipping and got some good advice from posts of 7-25-01 and 9-1-01 and the tubadaves webpage on packing for shipping (http://www.cal.net/~tubadave/ShippingTubas.GIF). Does anyone have any comments pro or con on tubadaves packing method.

UPS got some non-specific bad comments. What are the horror stories and how can they be prevented? I also noted the use of Greyhound and Amtrack as alternatives. Are there any max dimensions for UPS that come into play? One of these tubas is huge.

Are accessories such as mouth pieces included with the tuba or are these handled as separate items?

FYI - the tubas are a Yamaha YBB-103 3/4 size approx 1987 w/gig bag, a King Eb bell front 1917 (this tuba is huge), and a Eb 3/4 C.G. Conn 1900 (apparently this is pitched to A-445). All are in good or better condition (Dad was very fussy about these things).

The family and I thank you for any help you can provide. Dad was in five community bands, orchestras and civil war bands and felt that playing was a civic duty.

Follow Ups: