Re: Re: Re: Re: Tenor tuba ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt Good on November 12, 2001 at 20:32:55:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Tenor tuba ? posted by Rick Denney on November 12, 2001 at 17:52:18:

My Alexander 151G Baritontuba has a 12 inch bell, a .610 bore and four rotary valves in gold brass. It looks like a minature Alexander F Tuba. I got it so when I play Bydlo, I can sleep at night.

What I was searching for was a high tuba in Bb. I have played several good euphoniums but none of them really felt tuba-like. While was at Curtis, Glen Dodson (former Principal Trombone in Philadelphia) had one of these horns and he let me play it and I remember how great it sounded. So I ordered one about two years ago and I do not regret spending the money on it. It's not an instrument that you would play "Bride of the Waves" on but it has a beautiful sound. Lee Hipp in San Antonio borrowed it last year and had a good time with it.

I know spending 3K on an instrument like this may seem excessive but here in Dallas I don't have the time to mess around. Often you have only 2-3 chances to play a passage before the concert and I don't want to stumble around on an F and waste the orchestras time. In the orchestra world your only a hero for a day but you can be a loser for the rest of your carreer.

Matt "I've got the big bucks" Good

Follow Ups: