Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tenor tuba ?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on November 14, 2001 at 10:16:03:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Tenor tuba ? posted by Jay Bertolet on November 13, 2001 at 18:26:58:

The Miraphone that Al played may or may not have been a "Kaiser." But it had a 12+ inch bell, and a .610 bore. And it was upright, with a straight bell stack, looking exactly like the catalog picture Klaus provided of the Alexander 151. I don't know the model number, and I've lost track of Al in the last few years.

Overall, it had the size of a euphonium, which stands to reason for an instrument in Bb. We thought of it as a rotary euphonium at the time. We have a picture of our group with our bells all pointed at the camera, and it is surprising how much bigger the bell on Al's bariton seems than the bell on the Miraphone 3+1 compensator, which I suppose had an 11-inch bell.

If it had intonation problems, then it was never apparent in Al's playing. We were always very solidly in tune, except for that flaky first tuba player with the Yamaha. It may be that you just have to use a large mouthpiece to sort out the intonation on such an instrument. Al used a bass trombone mouthpiece, but it was a BIG bass trombone mouthpiece (a 1G).

Rick "who didn't make the connection until he saw the picture of the Alex" Denney

Follow Ups: