Calling All Hirsbrunner Owners...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Todd Morgan on March 13, 2004 at 13:53:10:

Hi,

A fairly recent post by Mike Mason concerning thumb rings got me thinking....again. I would like to get a more comfortable thumb ring, like that found on Hirsbrunner and Willson tubas with threads on it in order to fit my Conn 56J. The Willson thumb rings are removable, adjustable and a simple solution. This Tuesday I will check with one of my section-mates to see if his Willson thumb ring would fit.

If the Willson ring doesn't work, I may have a custon ring made locally. Living here in Birmingham, Alabama there are many steel plants and machine shops. I would like to see if a machine shop would be able to make a Hirsbrunner style ring with threads added that fit my horn. I can show the machine shop my stock thumb ring and pictures of what I would like made, but I would really like to have some measurements.

Would a Hirsbrunner owner (or 2) be so kind as to take some measurements of their thumb ring(s) and post them to this site? I have an idea in my mind as to how big I would like the ring. I am just afraid that will give the wrong measurements and end up with a brass Krispy Kreme donut. :) The measurements I would need are as follows..

Outside diameter (outside edge to outside edge)
Inside Diameter (inside edge to inside edge)
Ring Thickness

Thank you VERY much! I will use the measurements provided along with pictures and my stock thumb ring to have an appropriately sized ring made. If I do end up having a custom ring made, I will be sure and take pictures and post them to my website.

Thank you,
Todd Morgan
www.geocities.com/tubatodd/

Follow Ups: