Re: Different Question About CC vs. BBb

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on March 09, 2003 at 19:15:54:

In Reply to: Different Question About CC vs. BBb posted by Jeff Hildebrand on March 09, 2003 at 17:45:15:

You are getting the wrong impression from the auction site. CC tubas tend to get at least a kilobuck more than the corresponding BBb tubas. If you have seen the recent BBb Holtons on auction getting prices in the range of 5-6 grand, then realize that these tubas are rare indeed and valuable because of that. Even so, the factory CC Holtons that play well will cost you $7000 at least, and more if it has a big-name-player provenance.

Also, my friends who play CC tubas in community bands and other amateur ensembles have to exercise more care to be in tune with the group than those who play BBb. The reason is that most instrument in the band are based on the Bb harmonic series, and tend to play out of tune according to that series. The CC tuba may have better intonation (or maybe not), but it will have different tendencies than those other instruments.

Thus, for your situation, I recommend sticking with BBb. It will be easier to play in the groups you describe, and you'll get more horn for the money unless you're prepare to pay in the $7000 or more price range.

Example: A Miraphone 186 BBb will cost around $3000 in excellent used condition. A 186 CC in the same condition will get about $4000 or, if it has a fifth valve, even more. The staff C will probably be flat on the BBb version, and you'd probably have to push in the first-valve slide to make it center the needle on the tuner, but if you did, you'd probably be sharper than your section mates. The CC player playing his C open may have to pull it to match the flatness of his band mates.

Now, as to your mid-life crisis. If you can't drive a Toyota Camry, all you'll do with the Lamborghini is wrap it around a tree. So I would recommend getting a tuba that is ideal for a school-kid and learning how to play again. Once you've spent a year or two with that instrument, you may have progressed to the point where you are ready for something else. When you get to that point, you'll know better what you are looking for. And the tuba you buy now will likely be worth just as much as what you pay. In effect, you get a learning instrument for use for free for a year or two to get yourself to the point of knowing the next step. I would recommend a used Miraphone 186 or a new, new-style King 2341. Both are just what you want: A tuba that will make playing as easy as possible without being any sort of a hindrance. Save the Lamborghini for later.

Also, set aside a little bit of money to get lessons from the local good teaching pro. That will be worth more than the tuba.

Rick "who celebrated his mid-life crisis by ending a life of bachelor-hood" Denney

Follow Ups: