Re: Playing new CC at School

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Steve Dedman on March 10, 2002 at 23:38:18:

In Reply to: Playing new CC at School posted by Frustrated on March 10, 2002 at 23:03:52:

My thought is, why use two different sets of fingerings? If you play BBb at school, then go home and play much of the same music on CC, then aren't you opening yourself up to being mediocre at both? I assume your band director doesn't want that. The only way to really make the switch is to just do it and don't look back.

To me, this subject (which comes up periodically on this BBS) is a place where the rubber meets the road in assessing whether or not a high school band director is really teaching for the benefit and furtherance of his students abilities, or is the band director worried more about THEIR band being the one to "win" all of the competitions.

Had I just spent that much on a tuba for my child (or even better- had seen my child bust his/her butt to buy one themselves), only to be told they aren't allowed to play it, there would be a very one-sided conversation with the band director. The substance would be that my child IS indeed going to play that horn. The only question is at which school and under which band director. Threatened with the loss of their best tubist, most directors will compromise.

I'm not saying to tell your band director that, but your parents might wish to discuss the size of the investment with the band director. Be poiltely and respectfully persistent. If the director still says no to you, make them say no to your parents. If they say no to your parents, make the principal say no to your parents. Etc., on up the food chain. You might also get your private instructor to teach your band director that trumpets and tubas are different instruments. I know very few non-tuba/euph playing band directors that realize that no matter what key a tuba is in IT DOES NOT TRANSPOSE. When I explain it, most look at me like I'm speaking Attic Greek.

Best of luck.

SD

Follow Ups: