Re: Re: Re: Holst 2nd Suite - Dargason

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on June 23, 2003 at 10:10:14:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Holst 2nd Suite - Dargason posted by Mark Heter on June 20, 2003 at 21:43:18:

That the Holst suites are overplayed seems to me rather a broad statement. I played in bands from age 12 to 30 before having my first opportunity to play one of the two suites. Since that time (another 15 years), bands I've played in have programmed one of the suites perhaps three or four times. I'd hardly call that overplaying. I'd bet that your average orchestra hits their top 20 works more often.

And the comment on "wind ensembles" also seems a little broad. Our group is wind-ensemble size, because that's all the local musicians who are willing to participate. In denser parts of the DC area, there are symphonic bands of 70-100 members. We'd be that big, too, if 70-100 acceptable musicians turned up in our fringe suburb. Before moving here, I have played in four symphonic bands, of which the smallest was 70 musicians.

What has been your experience that led you to these conclusions? Is it a regional thing?

Rick "who, outside of a quintet arrangement, has played the Second Suite only twice in public performance" Denney

Follow Ups: