Re: Re: Re: Re: Holst 2nd Suite - Dargason

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark Heter on June 25, 2003 at 21:47:37:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Holst 2nd Suite - Dargason posted by Rick Denney on June 23, 2003 at 10:10:14:

Yeah, I work for several leaders here in the NY-NJ area who play the Holsts, and Vaughan-Williams Folksong Suite every summer. One leader in particular gets one of these suites on the program every time, whether it's appropiate to the occasion or not. Also, "Irish Tune From County Derry". Fennell wannabes. Of course, they never rehearse the marches. The best recording I've heard of the these old chestnuts is Dennis Wick's, by the way. I don't know when they were made, but that sure sounds like old Fletch on the E-flat...

We've kind of retired them (temporarily, of course) from the Goldman Band concerts - suites are tough outdoors to begin with - audience attention span is short. I don't play in the Band, I'm on the Board of Directors...

Strangely enough, there exists an excellent transcription of Holst's "Jupiter" from the "Planets" that in over 30 years on the tuba I have never gotten to play even once! I would think that good band could knock your socks off with that piece... Do you know of anyone who performs it?

Follow Ups: