Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Holst 2nd Suite - Dargason

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark Heter on June 26, 2003 at 20:59:16:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Holst 2nd Suite - Dargason posted by Rick Denney on June 26, 2003 at 17:38:24:

I think what we're skirting here in regard to band repertoire is the "musical stepchild" syndrome. People have a funny idea about Sousa's Band (it marched seven times in 38 years, for instance) and what they played. One of the bid featues of Sousa's Band was the saxophone sextette - they did an intermission "act" - with patter, very vaudevillian stuff, with jokes. Yet, despite the cornball stuff, and much playing of hymns (to ingratiate the band with audiences new to his band who knew little else) Sousa performed the music from Parsifal in the United States 22 years before an American orchestra attempted it. That's a long time ago, however.

I like your program, and it sounds like fun.

Some things sound better with a band - as proof, if you can find it (I understand Golden Crest is going to reissue these things on CD, by the way) get a copy of the Burke-Phillips recording of Festival at Baghdad from Scherezade. It is unforgettable. Unfortunately, there aren't many bands that can play this stuff anymore.

Glad you liked the humor. In my circle we renamed many pieces. Rossini's Inflammatus from Stabat Mater (the old Easter cornet solo) was ALWAYS the "inflammation", and Chambers' Hostrauser's March was ALWAYS "Pony Pants" - and on and on.

One of the best renamings was King's "Step On It" March, which was being used on a circus grand entry, with the band following the elephants, etc. - it quickly became "Step IN It".

enough.

Follow Ups: