Re: Re: Holst 2nd Suite - Dargason

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark Heter on June 20, 2003 at 21:43:18:

In Reply to: Re: Holst 2nd Suite - Dargason posted by Chris Beard on June 20, 2003 at 14:57:25:

Tubas get few real solos in band; generally any melodies they get are soli - with the rest of the low brasses, and today's school-oriented scoring uses too much doubling of lines - you're usually playing the same line as the bass clarinet, bari sax, bassoon, third bone, etc... Sometimes the exposure of an actual solo throws musicians a little.
I always found it a good practice, especially with martinet conductors, to memorize anything I muffed in front of them, since I knew they would listening for a repeat bad performance. The good ones will actually acknowledge your efforts with a little smile. Re-scoring the piece, instead of working out the problems is small-timers stuff - find a better band to play with. Face it, you're going to see this solo over and over again - the Holst Suites are overplayed these days, due to the Fennellization of the band business into "wind ensembles" - get the thing under your fingers until you can do it drunk or hung over...
"A 'wind ensemble' is just a circus band with bassoons" - Karl L. King
MH

Follow Ups: