Re: Re: Re: circular breathing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dave on June 12, 2000 at 16:41:03:

In Reply to: Re: Re: circular breathing posted by pretty useful parlor trick on June 12, 2000 at 15:32:49:

You prove my point. The whole point with circular breathing with some, it seems, is to be "seen" doing it; something that prompts an excited murmuring in the audience during an especially inspiring and aerobic cadenza nestled snugly within "Rocked in the Cradle of the Deep". Thusly, I stand by my "parlor trick" assessment. If it becomes the talk of the recital, I'd rather see a monkey jump through a flaming hoop during the Effie Suite. A judicious and efficient use of breath usually does the trick.

I played for a conductor once who thought he was impressing us with his ability to conduct in a "2" pattern with one hand and a "3" pattern in the other. I'm sure he felt empowered doing it, but it really was a useless gesture.

I'm sure there's some young tuba player out there, as a result of this post, earnestly working on his circular breathing all-the-while sporting an unforgettable tone and mushmouth articulation. I've just got more pressing issues to work on. The fine gentlemen you mention may have some time on their hands, but I sure as hell don't.

Dave

Follow Ups: