Re: Re: Re: Re: circular breathing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by pretty useful parlor trick on June 12, 2000 at 17:20:26:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: circular breathing posted by Dave on June 12, 2000 at 16:41:03:

Chester Schmitz uses circular breathing most often during long orchestral notes and passages and I guarantee that his circular breathing is not what people at Boston Symphony concerts talk about. At any rate whether or not people talk about it or not is not the issue. The issue is, can and do any tuba players use circular breathing in a musical manner? I would say that they can and do. Surely you can concede that circular breathing can be musically useful is some instances for highly advanced players. I agree with you totally on the issue of circular breathing often being used as a parlor trick, but there are many other techniques that are used as parlor tricks (multiple tonguing, extreme loug and soft dynamics, various vibratos), but these techniques are not exclusively parlor tricks.

The issue of when one should learn to circular breath is separate and I agree with you that one should be more concerned with conventional breathing before trying circular breathing (just as one should be able to single tongue proficiently before attempting multiple tonguing.)

Follow Ups: