Re: Damping

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Joe S. on July 18, 2001 at 21:34:55:

In Reply to: Damping posted by Philip Moore on July 18, 2001 at 10:52:26:

These comments are not directed at any individual player of any instrument. - For pity's sake, I haven't HEARD any individual player on this list...maybe a couple of them...

My general observations as a (paid to play) brass player, busy repair-guy, and as a music store owner have been that the more "techno" the player is (as far as gadgets and fussiness about this or that tiny little detail about some "trick" that they did to their instrument) the more mediocre was their playing...Again, this is a GENERAL observation...For instance, except for the "signature" gold plating, the Canadian Brass instruments (not the Canadian Brass retail "line", but the actual quintet's instruments) are STOCK Yamaha instruments with absolutely NO "tricks". Ryan Anthony was just a bit concerned when I "upgraded" his Yamaha piccolo trumpet with a ring on the #4 valve slide, because the C.B. instruments are supposed to be "stock".

Anyway, no insults. Just a general stereotype that I've formed based on about a quarter of a century of observing others. You might want briefly consider my view of the world of instrumentalists when considering strips of metal, heavy weighted things, interchangable mouthpipes, tape, belts, brace removal, etc., etc., ad infinitum.

Follow Ups: