Anybody else have this problem?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mark F. on July 03, 2001 at 23:00:58:

Doing a sub job with the Texas Wind Symphony this week. One of the pieces we are doing is a jazz piece with a combo part for a dixieland band. while practicing it, the director comments on if a sousaphone would sound better for the combo than my concert horn, so I tell him I'll bring in my old Eb sousa for the next rehersal (that's right, Joe Baker's old horn), which I did and everybody loves the look and sound of the sousa playing the part. that's not the problem, here's it is.
I learned Bass clef, BBb fingerings on tuba almost 20 years ago.
I learned Bass clef euphonium 14 years ago.
I learned CC tuba fingerings 12 years ago.
I learned to read treble clef euphonium fingerings really well in the last 7-8 years. and this leads to my question.
With all of my experience reading reading Bass clef, (i do it every day of my life) WHY does my brain automatically shift to treble clef when reading Eb sousaphone? I swear, everytime I pick that thing up I am reading Eb's as C's. it's not a big problem until the accidentals start flying at me. I consider reading bass clef as treble to be an undesireable sortcut and would love to break myself of this nasty habit.
I was just wondering if anybody else had experienced this, or would be willing to admit it.

Follow Ups: