Re: Re: Anybody else have this problem?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Klaus on July 04, 2001 at 06:24:09:

In Reply to: Re: Anybody else have this problem? posted by Scott Sutherland on July 04, 2001 at 01:13:50:

Had an experience somewhat similar to yours.

I have played a lot reading directly from vocal and instrumental scores with from 2 to five parts/staves. No big problems with keeping "my" part across system breaks.

This took some training initially, but proved useful over the years. Until this way of reading backfired with no mercy last summer:

In a brass band I had learned most of the repertory on Eb bass, but had to sub on BBb for a period. No big deal in most of the book.

But then there was this single (longish) piece, sight read in a park concert. The BBb part had been lost, so some person had copied all of the score. Cut the BBb staffs, pasted them on a piece of paper, and xeroxed his work down for the resulting "part".

I knew the style of the piece and could find my way through the transitions and so.

But some of my entries in the middle of sections were more "interesting" than they should have been. And I found myself being way ahead of the band in some situations.

Suddenly I discovered why. The staffs cut from the score had their first and last barlines continuing upwards and downwards beyond the the 5 staff lines. The "re-editor" by accidence had happened to paste the staff in pairs of two, mimicing a piano score.

So sitting with my hugaphone, 3o years of (piano-)score reading faithfully had made me read the "bass" staff. Making me jump every other staff.

I ended being together with the band through the last third of the piece.

Klaus

Follow Ups: