PT-22 and "investing" in new tubas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by tubatheorist on February 11, 2001 at 08:37:47:

Hi everyone,
I have two questions to ask here. The first is to see if anyone has any experience with the new PT-22 E-flat. I played it in DC and absolutely fell in love. I am currently playing a BE983, and the 22 seemed to respond so much better. Thinking maybe it was my horn, I tried the 983 on display in DC. I still liked the 22 much better,despite the fact that the 983 on display was a lot better responding than my own.
Second question, I have a tuba "addiction" I guess you could say. I just bought a Hirsbrunner, but it was the only the second C tuba I've had in my life. (I'm a 24 year old grad student in perf and theory.) The previous one was a Kalison I bought 2 years before, as a completely uneducated undergrad. So now I'd like to switch E-flats. I bought my 983 about a year ago, again as an undergrad that might not have sought out all the options. Myteacher gets really annoyed that I want to buy new tubas all the time. (I also would like to get an F eventually.) I am just trying to settle into some equipment I like. I will not buy another C tuba, as I am completely content with my 21. I don't say that equipment makes a difference in my playing as far as improvement goes, but I like a horn that I feel like will give something back to me. Does anyone think this is a bad thing? I just want one of each horn that I can really enjoy playing and use, long term. I mean, playing is my life, and I need to be comfortable with the means I have to do it... I think?
Thanks, sorry to ramble!

Follow Ups: