Re: Re: Re: Teaching and reality

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by tony on December 18, 2003 at 21:39:47:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Teaching and reality posted by js on December 18, 2003 at 18:11:56:

I certainly understand you view of this situation from your world point of view, but we pay taxes that cover a lot of things that we may or may not like or agree with. I personally would rather the taxes go to state funded public schools than to bombs overseas. Be that as it may, and not to be too argumentative, there are a lot of degree programs in colleges that on the forefront yield little job opportunities. Colleges are not just places to get degrees so you can get a job. They are institutions of higher learning, and in that light, job prospects are, and should not be the main function of a university. They are think tanks, and places where people can explore their minds. We NEED places where the arts and artists can be nurtured, even if for a few years in college. There is absolutely nothing wrong with someone studying tuba, then deciding its not a career worth pursuing and then switching majors to get a business degree. it's no different that someone switching from an Education program to a business program when they figure out its not for them.

Although I think you have a slightly inflated perception of what you personally contributed to my higher education, or to any one persons education, I would like to think that you would still like to see a nation full of educated people. The strength of any society is to educate them, so that each person can contribute back in some way. Wouldn't it be great if we could educate a society of artists? Not just on the tuba, but in every artistic medium.

I don't like to get into internet arguments, as it is difficult to get points across. We are all burdened with the cost of progress. The art are dying, and therefore so is our craft. Universities help keep it alive. Send more students to study music, even if for a little while. We need more classical music lovers.

Follow Ups: