Re: Re: CC St.Pete any news?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on December 16, 2002 at 16:25:55:

In Reply to: Re: CC St.Pete any news? posted by Here's an idea on December 16, 2002 at 15:43:02:

I don't think you'll see CC tubas in a high school band in the near future, unless they were being given away. BBb's are generic for a good reason. If a band guy walks into another bandroom, he knows there will be BBb's in use. Since high school band isn't really the training ground for orchestral players, a CC tuba is not needed. Just like the average trumpet players can use the Bb trumpet through high school. If a player feels the need to play on a CC, then they can purchase one for thier own use.

The best thing potentially about a St. Pete CC, if it came out at a low price point, is that the other, better manufacturers would do what they did when St. Pete BBb's were first being imported. They will find a way to come close to that price point to remain competitive.

I doubt, however, that the St. Pete CC will come out at the same level as the BBb. Plan on the difference of margin being the same between the Miraphone 186 CC and BBb in the same trim.

I think that band directors buying CC tubas would be in for a lot of trouble. Teaching new fingerings to both themselves (If they aren't CC tuba players) and the incoming kids from middle school, where they learned on BBb's, will be a dificult chore, especially when you want to focus on things other than the "basics". Also, if a student doesn't have enough money to buy a CC and ends up in a school still playing tuba, he/she will not be able to go right into playing the possible BBb that the school has for student use.

I play CC, but the BBb is valid in use in the high school band system.

Matt G

Follow Ups: