Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: CC St.Pete any news?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on December 19, 2002 at 08:39:57:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: CC St.Pete any news? posted by js on December 19, 2002 at 00:44:39:

You're right, Joe. I was over-generalizing (if that is a word?). I was trying to make the point that it is a little easier for a director to correlate the tendencies due to the fingerings involved.

Ironically, my experience with the Symphony in Bb came when I was playing a Mirafone 188-5U (One of Tommy Johnson's old horns, VERY in tune) and my section mate was playing a BBb St. Pete. It had real problems trying to tune 3rd and 4th valve. Real bad. Because the valves were leaking air around them.

I still have had a hard time playing Db's in tune with other BBb players. Thankfully, the 5-2-3 combo comes out just a hint flat and usually lines up well with most BBb tubas. But your right not all are the same. When playing with a big 2xJ, I either revert back to 2-4 or 1-2-3 to line up.

I do find humor in a band director telling students what to play. He probably also tells them all what mouthpiece to play as well. In fact he is probably one of those guys who tells all of the Trumpet players to play on a Bach 3C. And all of the 'bone players have to play on a Bach 6 1/2 AL.

Matt G

Follow Ups: