Marching horns for Tuba Christmas

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Lew on December 07, 2002 at 15:04:59:

Some of the recent Tuba Christmas threads got me thinking about the appropriateness of using marching baritones for Tuba Christmas. I have seen a few marching baritones, flugabones or similar horns, and even bell front mellophones at a few Tuba Christmases that I have attended. I was wondering what other people though about the use of these at these events?

My opinion is that they don't belong. Tuba Christmas is an opportunity for tubas, euphoniums, sousaphones, helicons, ophicleides, baritone horns, etc. to show what they can do. Flugabones are really valve trombones and I think that trombones get enough opportunities to shine and shouldn't be used at these events at all. I feel the same way about mellophones. It would be like someone bringing a cornet or flugelhorn and saying that it was a soprano tuba. It defeats the purpose. Marching baritones are borderline because they are technically baritones, so fit the profile, but I think that they just don't look right. What do others think?

Follow Ups: