Please help: Yamaha 642 vs Besson 967

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Terry-M on December 21, 2001 at 17:14:28:

Hello, everybody. I know there's been lots written about who likes what euphonium better and why. I'm down to two now, and I am having trouble making up my mind. I've owned the Yamaha 642 in the past and really liked it. But it never gave me the deep, mellow sound that I was hoping for. I tried several mouth pieces, and none of them worked. I plan to use the instrument for playing at church and possibly in Nursing Homes, all solo stuff .. no groups or bands or anything like that. I need the mellowist sound possible. I don't need volume, I need smooth, relaxing, comforting sounds. I have an opportunity to buy either one of these horns at approximately the same price (+ or - $500). Do you think the Besson will be able to deliver the sweet, mellow sound more than the Yamaha? The Yamaha always had a metalic sound to it. Could I expect that from the Besson as well? The "catch" is that I must make the selection without seeing, hearing or playing either instrument. I will be buying strictly based upon the reputation of the instrument. If you can make a suggestion, I would really appreciate it.

Follow Ups: