Re: Please help: Yamaha 642 vs Besson 967

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Micah on December 21, 2001 at 18:47:40:

In Reply to: Please help: Yamaha 642 vs Besson 967 posted by Terry-M on December 21, 2001 at 17:14:28:

If you can't try them first, I would go with the Yamaha, as they are both consistently in tune and very consistent from instrument to instrument. Bessons seem to have a reputation for being less consistent, especially concerning intonation. Although I am only a "part-time" euphonium player (I'm primarily a trombonist), I am very happy with my 642. I have tried a Besson once or twice and liked the sound and the response, but it's not a big enough difference to give up the ease of playing in tune one gets with the Yamaha.

One suggestion: I recently purchased one of the Steven Mead euphonium mouthpieces made by Denis Wick. Some of the euphonium players at my school use them and I really liked their sounds, so I decided to try one for myself to see if the mouthpiece makes a difference. I immediately noticed that my sound was richer and fuller -- to put it simply, I sounded like a euphonium player, not a trombone player trying to play euphonium. Anyway, perhaps this combination could allow you to get the "deep, mellow sound" you want out of the Yamaha. The SM mouthpieces are available with several different rim sizes, so that you can find one that is close to your current piece.

My $.02,

Micah

Follow Ups: