F or CC for *only* horn

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Torn! on December 28, 2000 at 22:12:20:

I'm a low-end professional/high end amateur tubist, with a decent amount of gigs, and not a lot of money. Right now my only horn is a small CC, but I have an opportunity to get a decent(but not high end) F tuba, which might require me to trade in my CC. Now, assuming I'm approved for Financing in a couple of months, I'll have another CC(late February to mid march), but I'm wondering what some of the effects would be of trading off my current CC for an F, and going the next few months with only the F horn.

First, before I get 40 questions, here's some info on what I'm doing right now..

Brass Quintet(my main gig), and a high quality professional wind ensemble(1st of 4 tubists).. "on call" for a local orchestra, but they probably won't need me anytime soon... even if they did, my small CC probably wouldn't fit the bill. My main source of income, outside of a morning retail job, is from teaching lessons, and most of those are trombone and euphonium students(about 3 tuba students, out of the 15 in my studio). My other issue... I have no performing experience on an F tuba... have only played them in stores, and at exhibits(due to my lack of funds, which is hopefully in the process of turning around). Anyways, anyone with simillar experiences, or some sort advice, I'd greatly appreciate it. Thanks.

Follow Ups: