Keeping tone consistent

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ian Easton on December 19, 2000 at 23:13:47:

An interesting thread recently about dropping the jaw. From memory, I think it was Jay who said he believed that keeping the embouchure consistent was beneficial. I welcome this suggestion, but have encountered (seemingly) conflicting advice:

The "Learn to Play" series of brass tutor books suggests changing the vowel sound depending on the pitch ("too" for low, "tee" for high). I've heard the explanation that this will increase the speed of the air (in the same way that squeezing a hose-pipe will increase the water's speed). I've always prefered to keep a consistent tone throughout my range, but have had conversations with respected trumpet players lately who agree with Learn to play's methods.

How do people feel about this? Is changing the vowel sound an 'easy way' (ie short-cut) to improving high range, and as such to be avoided? Is this different to moving the jaw, as it's only the oral cavity that's adapting to suit the pitches? Are we tuba players in a different category to trumpet players in this regard (ie its necessary to change vowel shape on trumpets, but not tubas)?

thanks for any advice,
Ian Easton

Follow Ups: