Re: Re: Re: Oklahoma Update

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Todd S. Malicoate on May 01, 2003 at 02:31:54:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Oklahoma Update posted by OU tuba student on April 30, 2003 at 22:56:36:

Agreed. The whole situation is really disturbing. Thanks for the info from someone "on the inside."

It really makes you wonder why we spend all those years working towards a degree so that we can finally land a job only to get stabbed in the back later on down the road.

I don't know where it is that they are advertising their "national search." Nothing appears in the latest International Musician regarding the vacancy, and that's where the most qualified applicants will be looking for jobs. Most of them are already employed or deep into the interview process by now, I should think. It's been my experience that six to eight weeks is not a ridiculously short amount of time to find a quality person for the position, but is on the low end of the time scale. It'll be real interesting to see who interviews for OU, and how the selection is conducted (with school letting out so soon and few players around to see or take lessons with the candidates).

This is a crappy situation for you guys in Norman but it could be worse - at least you HAVE a full-time tuba instuctor on your faculty. Up here in Aggie Land it was always either a once-a-week adjunct guy or the resident trombone hack. But hey, Oklahoma has never exactly been tuba central. I've lived here nearly all my life, and have seen some bizarre politics in the music scene, but this really takes it.

By the way, how do they plan on running the Workshop without Ted this year? Do they really think someone can just jump into an event that big? The event is eight weeks from last Monday, just about the time they say they'll have someone hired. Amazing...

Ted, if you read this, know that my hopes and prayers are with you - my only advice is to retain as much dignity and professionalism that you can throughout this ugly process.

Follow Ups: