Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Oklahoma Update

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mary Ann on May 02, 2003 at 09:52:07:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Oklahoma Update posted by Todd S. Malicoate on May 01, 2003 at 09:31:07:

I've only known well one person who went through the tenure track process, at a university in Albany, NY. He went through seven years of absolute total crap and a** kissing to get his tenure. He was plenty mad at the end of it; they treated him like a basic slave for those seven years. Then, once he got tenure, he simply stopped doing anything at all extra that was outside of his job description. I knew him years after he got tenure, and he was STILL angry. It did not make me want anything to do with working for a university.

I wonder if this was/is a tenure track position. If a professor is not tenured, s/he may be let go without explanation. How well you get along with your colleagues and the administration, is MUCH more important than the actualy work you do. I find this is often true in non-academic businesses, too. I call it the Golden Boy Syndrome. It's the precursor to the Good Old Boy Syndrome. You have to get in the club, first. I don't like it, but there it is.

Mary Ann

Follow Ups: