Re: Re: Re: Horn advice

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Larry Zaidan on April 16, 2003 at 07:38:59:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Horn advice posted by Tony E on April 16, 2003 at 00:27:33:

I think that most people assume: 6/4 = LOUD!

While that can certainly be true, 6/4 tubas can be played quietly, as well.

In addition, 6/4 tubas represent a different quality of sound, than most 4/4 horns. The sound of an average 6/4 is much broader (not necessarily louder), with a much greater "presence".

I think the point is that you can play a BAT in brass quintet, but you have to work a whole lot harder, just to avoid wiping out the other instruments (if that is a priority for you!) ;-)

For certain "soloistic" passages, I think the broad, 6/4 sound would not serve you as well, but other musical circumstances in the quintet might be enhanced by that sound. What it comes down to is: What is the nature of the majority of the brass quintet literature that you play?

I personally like the tuba to be on an equal footing with the other instruments, rather than having to be constantly vigilant about burying my colleagues. I can use the energy that I would have expended monitoring potential balance disasters, and channel it into playing my music.

While I have not spent much time playing in a tuba quartet, I could see a BAT being very valuable there. For one thing, you are playing with at least one other tuba, so the balance issues are not as great. More importantly, I think that in a homogeneous ensemble like a tuba quartet, the different tone quality provided by the BAT, would be a welcome addition to the "tonal palate".

Please forgive my ramblings, but I just felt motivated to "share" (I learned it in kindergarten).

Larry Zaidan

Follow Ups: