Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Horn advice

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tony E on April 17, 2003 at 15:15:39:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Horn advice posted by Rick Denney on April 17, 2003 at 14:20:17:

Rick,

I'm not offended at all, and I trust a spirited debate isn't offensive to you either.

You've asked a good question...Why go to the effort of working with the big tuba if the smaller horn is bright and sparkling on its own? The answer would be...you wouldn't...unless you don't want bright and sparkling sound coming from the tuba 2 part.

I'm pushing on this because you've characterized the bright/sparkling sound of the smaller horn as "appropriate" and the "best solution", and the broader sound of the large horn as one that as inappropriate and a compromise. I may be missunderstanding, but it seems you're also going so far as to say that those who prefer a different tone concept are deluding themselves and out of touch with their audience. Not much room for differing tone concepts or artistic exploration there.

My post first popped up when Tony C suggested that the big horns are only REALLY good in large orchestras or bands. I think they can be REALLY good in other settings as well.

I guess we'll have to disagree on the "appropriateness" or perhaps "effectiveness" of big horns in small ensembles.

Tony E

Follow Ups: