Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Horn advice

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tony E on April 17, 2003 at 12:43:04:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Horn advice posted by Rick Denney on April 17, 2003 at 11:19:48:

Rick,

I think we're down to the point here. I don't view learning to effectively play a 6/4 in many of these settings as "overcoming an inappropriate instrument". Nor do I think it is so dificult that it can only be done by the most amazing professionals. I guess we just disagree here.

Does the "resonance and timbre" of the Holton 345 make it a poor choice for a tuba quartet that seeks clarity? It's working well in our group, and 6/4 horns are working well in other groups that I've heard. Of course, you can dismiss it by saying that's my resonance-loving impression but not that of the ensemble or the audience. Come on, you don't think we're listening to recorded playback or having people we respect give us feedback? Don't be so dismissive.

Where are you going with this topic of big tubas in small ensembles...only a mega pro could do it and if someone thinks it's working they're probably self deceived?

Is it really such a rare thing? I don't think so. A lot of ground has been covered quite successfully over the years by guys playing big horns with small mouthpieces...both amateurs and pros. I think relatively new readers on the board should have this perspective as an offset to what is becoming an "only a small horn is appropriate here" trend.

Music is filled with possibilities, and so is music making = there's more than one way to skin a cat.

I'm currious to see where you think we're agreeing and where we're not.

Tony "happy to be talking about something besides mouthpieces" E

Follow Ups: