Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Horn advice

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on April 17, 2003 at 14:20:17:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Horn advice posted by Tony E on April 17, 2003 at 12:43:04:

Probably you've just heard different groups than I have. I won't mention names, but the groups I've heard that I thought would have sounded much better on smaller instruments would not be unknown to you.

And I'm quite sure they were getting exactly the sound they wanted. But a tuba quartet is a tough ensemble to sell in practice because the texture lacks sparkle and variety, and for many the tones are indistinct no matter how well they are played. Tuba players can delude themselves because they are in love with the tuba sound, and that can happen to any tuba player. I see exactly the same thing in many barbershop quartets.

But if I can pick up my bright, present Miraphone 4/4 instrument and just play it like it wants to be played, then why should I go to the trouble of learning a whole special technique for a big tuba? To me, if you have to learn a special technique that you wouldn't on another instrument, then the instrument choice isn't ideal.

You are mildly insulted by my comments because I'm recommending against what you do. Please don't be. I'm not saying you are wrong, just that I would not think it the easiest way to the best solution.

Rick "calling it like he sees it" Denney

Follow Ups: