Re: Re: case lock?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on April 06, 2001 at 10:49:33:

In Reply to: Re: case lock? posted by Anthony Labelle on April 05, 2001 at 16:09:52:

This is getting difficult or impossible at most airports. The big airlines are using sizing templates at the security checkpoints to ensure that the bags getting through security will meet carry-on size requirements. Anything bigger than a trumpet has little hope of getting through the template.

There is sometimes a security entrance for oversized items, but they won't let you use it without permission from the ticket counter agents.

I once gate-checked a 621 F tuba in its case, but that was before the new rules went into effect. And even then they ran the horn through the baggage-handling system at my destination.

Personally, I think the airlines are building up to a whole new regulatory environment. It is not possible for them to forever get away with having no liability for their mistreatment of baggage, without even offering an alternative, such as the ability to ensure the package for an extra fee.

Rick "who hears the same stories from triathletes who travel with $4000 bicycles" Denney

Follow Ups: