Re: Re: Re: Colorado anyone??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by there on September 12, 2001 at 03:08:37:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Colorado anyone?? posted by true... on September 11, 2001 at 22:00:24:

If he did win, it would explain the choice of materials to play.

Don't mean for this to sound like sour grapes, but it will. There were some really good players who were not chosen to advance. There were some older, experienced players who knew the literature and were playing the correct interpretations in the warm-up rooms who were not chosen to advance.

Too bad we haven't gotten past favoritism in a system which should make it so. A blind audition should be just that. The "best" player should win, not the person who played for 1 year.

Having said that, I have been on both sides so know both feelings. For 1 job, I was told not to worry that I would win - it felt great, but I also felt lousy for the other auditionees knowing they tried their best and had no chance of winning!

So which way is right? If a "fair" audition is to be held, then changes need to be made. The union has no power here, only the integrity of the persons holding the audition. For artists who espouse fairness and equality, we (musicians as a group)tend to be incredibly trite and small minded. Bitter? Yea, I've attended way too many "fair" auditions only to find out the "winner" was pre-determined. This does tend to overshadow the abilities of the player, don't you think?

OK, that's off my chest now. Back to practicing, another audition in 2 weeks.

Follow Ups: