Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Colorado anyone??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Matt G on September 12, 2001 at 11:39:49:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Colorado anyone?? posted by rebuttal on September 12, 2001 at 11:17:15:

I agree.
While this may not be fair for the overtrained, one track (i.e. orchestral) players out there, we as musicians and people must recognize the importance of getting along with our fellow section mates. In order for an orchestra to take a member nowadays, they must go through a formal audition process, or else a grievance will be filed with the AFM. However, sometimes a person might be "filling in" for a player and fit in extremely well with the ensemble both musically and personally. They must take the audition to be fair, BUT if there was a glaring, distinct difference in ability between the current player and the crop who show up for the audition, than I'm sure the orchestra would pick the best player. On the other hand, if the current "fill in" is on par or very near the ability of the others in the auditioning environment, and has produced satisfactory or better results during performances, and has developed a positive relationship with his fellow ensemble members, then the orchestra would be foolish not to keep him. The symphony orchestra is a work environment like any office, and it takes teamwork and a positive environment to achieve an effective product. Sometimes it seems like sour grapes, but keep in mind that anyone could be on either side of the situation.

Matt G

Follow Ups: