Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Colorado anyone??

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by On what basis on September 12, 2001 at 22:14:11:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Colorado anyone?? posted by Ryan M on September 12, 2001 at 19:29:18:

On what basis do you feel qualified to make your comments? How many professional auditions have you taken? D.C. was not talking about what you suggest (who you know or where you go to school). D.C. was referring to instances in which an orchestra may have someone in mind for the job, and the circumstances are possibly structured to give the advantage to the "preferred player". If you think this doesn't happen, you are naïve. I know of an instance in which a "preferred player" was asked what solo they were going to play, so they would know it was likely that person behind the screen. This auditionee decided to play a different solo, in order to win the audition on the "merits of (their) playing". A different candidate played that aforementioned solo, and that other person won the audition. (this was not a tuba audition, and candidates were permitted to play a solo of their choice.) I know of another instance in which an audition committee had a "preferred player" in mind, and they were so convinced they knew which candidate was "their" player, they left the screen up through the finals. When the screen came down, they ended up declaring a different candidate as the winner. This orchestra proceeded to have a three-week "trial period", during which this player was told nothing with regard to how they were fitting in with the section, and this player was subsequently released. (again not a tuba audition, and this released player now holds a great job with another orchestra.)

You imply that D.C. is not practicing with sufficient dedication of time and commitment. I would venture to guess that D.C. does indeed practice with ample application of both. He had to spend his money to get to the audition, I'm sure preparation was ample.

Follow Ups: