Really Upset.... What would you guys do?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by David RN on September 07, 2000 at 09:36:10:

I used to play traditional jazz around the Cleveland area. 4 years ago I quit because I really hated having to wait for payment for gigs, and I hated some of the tunes we only seemed to play at the festivals. You now the ones that are very technical and are only meant to try to impress the other bands. Anyway, I am considering geting back into the scene. I am being told that I should play cornet as I am "very inventive". I was told that I used to play more of a lead line rather than a bass line. I used every bit of my 4 octave range and, to my knowledge, played 4 beat and 2 beat mixed. I was compared to Eli Newberger of the New Black Eagles many times. Yet, I am told that the way I played was not acceptable. I also worked with this particular musician a lot on tuba. I this a case of trying to get me into another instrument or a case of professional jealousy??

I would like to reply to him. I would like to plead my case about how I played. But, if I do, I am sure my chances of playing again would be slim.
whatdo you guys think? He said he would use me more as a lead than as a tubist.

Follow Ups: