Re: Really Upset.... What would you guys do?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by art on September 07, 2000 at 23:05:37:

In Reply to: Really Upset.... What would you guys do? posted by David RN on September 07, 2000 at 09:36:10:

Except when I am soloing, my job in a traditional jazz band is to make the other musicians feel comfortable and help them to sound good. Every musician that I work with has a different idea of what's appropriate, and I try to remember them all and respect all of their wishes. For example, there is almost always at least one guy in a band who feels strongly that I should play strictly two-beat, and at least one who wants strictly four, and at least one who hates the transitions from one style to the other. You talk with them about music, about who they like and what they like about them, and you try to be what they want you to be. Then when you have earned their respect (and only then) do you start to put some originality and creativity into your work. Incidentally, I also know Eli from way back. In fact, he borrowed my tuba for his first recording. I have always admired his playing, and it came as quite a surprise to me when I first heard another perfectly competent and respectable band leader say that he couldn't stand the way Eli played. But this band leader likes a more lobotomized style, and he makes it work. When I work with him, that's what I give him.

Follow Ups: