When students should buy a horn

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Doug Whitten on November 03, 2003 at 22:33:47:

I am in my first year of teaching at a small State University and have a studio of 9 tuba and euphoniums students. Although at least one very well known and respected tubist has graduated from here, there is not yet a "tuba" culture developed. Prior to my arrival (they had a trombone teacher in the past) it had not ever occurred to any of my tubists that they could or should purchase their own instrument. Now that I am here with my small arsenal of tubas, I overhear them talking about getting their own instruments.

The school owns BBb Yamaha 641 tubas which serve most of them just fine and even a CC Cerveny. However, my experience dictates that students really begin to take practicing seriously after they get their own horn. My question is, how hard should I push them towards buying? I can't imagine a string player who is majoring in music using a school instrument.

I suspect once one buys a horn, the others will follow. Please, if you have any experience with the "reculturing" of a tuba studio, please let me know how it happened. I don't want them to become equipment junkies, but I do believe they should have their own horns. Please note, this is not a BBb vs CC issue. Any help is appreciated.

Follow Ups: