Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: When students should buy a horn

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Rick Denney on November 06, 2003 at 18:03:00:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: When students should buy a horn posted by Marty Neilan on November 05, 2003 at 23:41:15:

Yes, I agree. But once graduated and earning a salary, buying one's own instrument is quite a bit easier, and more likely to be done with due consideration for cost--the same considerations imposed on most parents of the new teacher's students.

Someday, my niece will buy a bassoon for herself. Her parents can't afford to get one of the quality she thinks is minimal now, but when she's on her own, her standards might end up in a slightly different place. I can't see where this will do her any harm.

And in the case of tubas, many schools have extra instruments. What an example it would be to the students for the teacher to leave school for the afternoon with the worst instrument in the inventory "so I can practice tonight". Even better, for the students to enter class just as the teacher is finishing a practice session of beautiful playing--on the worst instrument in the inventory. I can see mountains of valuable teaching in that simple example.

Rick "thinking the best teachers lead by example" Denney

Follow Ups: