Mahler 5/NYPO 1947

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Chuck Jackson on November 22, 2002 at 23:18:53:

Excuse me if this is old hat, but I have found a wonderful recording of Mahler 5. It is with Bruno Walter and the New York Phil recorded in 1947. Many things make this a wonderful recording. First, you have Walter in his prime with a fantastic orchestra. Not taking away from his great recordings with the Columbia Symphony(I still count his Mahler 2 as one of the best), but this is the NYPO in really good form. This was 14-15 years before they became known as a Mahler orchestra under Bernstein, and they play the notes off the page. The pacing is incredible, I heard stuff I didn't know was there, much different than the modern day blowfests that have become American Mahler performances, Walter knew the piece intimately as he was Mahler's assistant at it's premiere. It is a fabulous piece of recorded history. Bill Bell sounds incredible, very full and clean. I have had a hard time finding recordings of his tenure that I like because of the recorded sound. The transfer to cd is great. The playing is nothing short of astounding considering that this was probably a radio broadcast. These were the days of one take recordings. If you want a Mahler 5 that is as close as Mahler intended it, get this recording. The playing will amaze you and, IMHO, the interpretation is the best on recorded. A nice piece of history.

Chuck

Follow Ups: