Re: Re: Texas RTEC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Mike I on May 19, 2003 at 15:52:38:

In Reply to: Re: Texas RTEC posted by Brian Frederiksen on May 19, 2003 at 14:29:58:

Brian,

For many serious amatuers like myself it is difficult to attend these events unless they are within a reasonable drive that doesn't require an overnight stay. When ITEC 1995 was held at Northwestern I was able to adjust my daily work schedule and made it to many of the late day sessions and all of the evening concerts which was also only possible because I live an hours drive away.

While I very much enjoyed the event and learned a few things I also realized that for the most part it was geared to the pros, aspiring pros, teachers and students. I also feel that ITEA also is geared to pros/educators. This was no surprise to me going in as I already knew that when I joined and I'm not saying that it can't remain that way, but if they really are serious about broadening the organizations reach than they need to really consider amatuer players and their needs and interests. I think there has been some movement of late in this direction.

I think ITEA has to decide if it wants to be just a "professional organization" or if it wants to be a broader organization that is all inclusive. I really feel that the folks who run it can't relate to folks like myself who aren't students,pros or educators. If you look at the board of directors, it to the best of my knowledge, has nobody but pros and educators on it. I truly don't think they can really understand or relate to many of my tuba "wants and needs". When I was involved in the local (now defunct) T.U.B.A. (now ITEA) chapter I was the only non pro on the board. Believe me when I tell you that the rest of the board for the most part had no idea what the average non-pro player wanted.

What they wanted was to play. Want to know what most of the rehearsal time for two years was spent on? It was spent arguing about a constitution! Don't get me wrong, the pros were responsible for getting the thing off the ground and we had some good times, but they had no idea what it would take to sustain the thing which was a core of good serious players who would be the fabric that would hold it together when the pros/educators would move to better gigs/jobs elsewhere in the country. Unless ITEA wants to only remain a small professional organization they need to broaden the base of members and board members.

Mike I

Follow Ups: