Re: Re: Re: Texas RTEC

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Dennis AsKew on May 20, 2003 at 07:22:42:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Texas RTEC posted by Mike I on May 19, 2003 at 15:52:38:

Hi all,

As I write these comments, please don't take them as being overly defensive, I'm merely trying to show some of the things have been done lately.

Since 2001 there hs been an amatuer player on the ITEA Board of Directors. (Bart Collins)There may have been one back in the 80's as well, but I'm not sure about that--just heard rumors...

In planning for last year's ITEC in Greensboro, I not only had an amatuer co-host (and we were listed as co-hosts, not just host and co-host) but a planning committee that included no less than 3 other amateur players. This committee met no less than once a month at first, then up to weekly in getting set for the conference. Believe me when I say that I tried my best to see what the amateur concerns were and might be. Also believe me when I say that as Conference Coordinator this year, I encouraged all the regional hosts to be as vared in their offerings as they could be.

Richard Murrow is very correct when he talks about the host institution's schedule being a driving factor as to when these things occur. If we didn't have universities to by and large host these things, we would be paying much more for registration costs. (i.e. rental of space) You fit into the calendar as best you can.

There are exceptions, like the HPBBB, which persevere and flourish due to the determination of a few folks. Many times neither site nor host(s) can put in that kind of long term dedication or commitment.

The issue of conferences is on the ITEA Exec. Committee summer meeting agenda--I am taking notes (and have for some time) from the things that are said here and on the tubeuph listserv. (no I'm not taking names, just ideas) As always, I'll take suggestions and commments off list, too.

Thanks for listening.

dwa

Follow Ups: