Re: Re: $NEW$ tuba on ebay - -what is it?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Graham Smith on May 16, 2001 at 12:06:55:

In Reply to: Re: $NEW$ tuba on ebay - -what is it? posted by Klaus on May 16, 2001 at 11:46:42:

THought that might be the case. I'm thinking of a Weril to get back into playing after long long years of absence, but this thing caught my eye. Given the history of encounters with Chinese horns that I've read in this list and elsewhere, I think I'll steer clear. I read a long thread on advice for folks getting back into playing after years of layoff and saw several excellent suggestions. One was getting a cheap BBb to get back the chops, then move up to a much better horn after determining that this is something that the returning player can pursue and is able to pursue.
Another consideration in my case is a 13 year old son who is playing Bari sax in his school band. He's pretty good on that and is the bass line for the band, since the school does not have a tuba. He's going to 8th grade in the call and probably a pretty decent high school band program in the fall of '02, and I was thinking of persuading him to come to the "true faith" of low brass. For that I would need a horn that wouldn't overwhelm him. He's pretty big, but a Conn 25J (what I played in college) would probably give him a hernia.
So, Klaus, any recommendations would be welcome, as well as any thoughts on the Werils.
Graham

Follow Ups: