Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: $NEW$ tuba on ebay - -what is it?

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Kenneth Sloan on May 16, 2001 at 21:10:12:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: $NEW$ tuba on ebay - -what is it? posted by Graham Smith on May 16, 2001 at 13:38:58:

Just so. I've been where you are, so I understand this point.

Folks - when you tell someone in this position to "try before you buy", it doesn't help. Adults who used to play and are coming back after a long layover are in absolutely no position to make any judgements whatsoever based on a playing session. I understand that this is counter to the experience (and the intuition) of most folk here - but it's true.

Graham - you need to find someone you trust (this can be a local pro,someone you meet here, or even a merchant who comes with a sterling reputation). Then, you need to honestly assess the financial situation and any biases you have. Finally, you need to "Just Do It".

One strategy is to assume that you will use your FIRST tuba for a few years, and then go through another selection cycle. In that case, you might want to pay particulat attention to how much money you are likely to spend for the "rental" (your purchase, and your eventual sale) of this tuba. If this isyour strategy, then I recommend a used middle-of-the-road tuba purchased from a very highly recommended merchant. If you take good care of the tuba, it will cost you perhaps double the usual "consignment" fee.

Another idea is to purchase the cheapest (and least expensive) tuba you can find, and assume that it will be worth ZERO in 4 years. I don't think highly of this idea.

I took a somewhat different approach, and it worked out well...for me. I'll be happy to chat about it off-line if you think it will help you.

Ken "keeping the 'starter' tuba and looking for another" Sloan

Follow Ups: