Re: Re: Re: A Better Valve Wrench

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Ian Easton on May 13, 2001 at 08:17:28:

In Reply to: Re: Re: A Better Valve Wrench posted by Leland on May 11, 2001 at 19:04:33:

The metal band doesn't pose any risk to the valve cap. I've had some VERY stuck valves that come unstuck with this device quite easily and with no damage to the flanging, etc at all. I've used it on my students' instruments (I'd feel very guilty if I damaged someone else's horn!) and on my own horns, who's welfare is more important than my own (*PS)

Of course, if you were concerned, you could wrap a flat elastic band around the cap (I have done that on occassion).

Regarding Chris' suggestion of using a cresent wrench...I can't imagine it fitting between the valves. Also, the benefit of the strongboy system is that contact is made on 360 degrees of the valve. That means that less pressure is required, and that pressure is evenly applied right around the cap, so there is no chance of it being squashed even slightly.

Cheers,

Ian (in mechanics they call cresent wrenches "nut-stuffers")

(*PS in case you're wondering, I broke my toe 3 weeks ago and have just got around to visiting the doctor. A broken valve guide and I'd be off to the shop in a moment!)

Follow Ups: