Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Contra-Octave in band playing

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ TubeNet BBS ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Jay Bertolet on May 07, 2001 at 20:45:39:

In Reply to: Re: Re: Re: Re: Contra-Octave in band playing posted by Come on Jay....... on May 07, 2001 at 13:54:12:

You're certainly entitled to your opinions regarding anything I post in a public forum but at least have the courtesy to not put words in my mouth. I did not say I was any sort of expert on Frank's compositional techniques and musical tastes. I simply pointed out that he, like Ron Nelson for example, knows what a tuba can do. I still think that the implication of someone not writing something in the pedal range, knowing full well about the capabilities of that range, implies that the composer didn't like the usage. The point I was making about Frank was that he certainly had plenty of exposure to good tuba players and playing.

I would also voice my disagreement to John Cradler, or anyone else who used this technique in a way that I found inappropriate. Perhaps you didn't read my other post earlier in this thread where I stated that I didn't agree with the professional recordings and performances where the Dies Irae section of Fantastique was performed in octaves. It just isn't for me. This has nothing to do with age either. My comments were made to the technique, not the age of the applicator.

You're statement about who takes things down the octave: "...ANY professional band...military, british brass band...whatever, they all do this." is wrong too. An immediate example would be the recently discussed on this BBS recording of the works of Holst by the Dallas Wind Symphony. I don't remember a single instance of those guys taking things down an octave during any of the pieces. I've heard several of the Eastman Wind Ensemble recordings with Fred Fennell and I don't recall any instances there either. The fact is that most times this doesn't occur.

Maybe you should continue to post anonymously. I wouldn't be willing to sign my name to your misstatements either.

My opinion for what it's worth...

Follow Ups: